Mastiff

Mastiff - Tamora Pierce Let me just preface this review by saying that I love Tamora Pierce (which is why I gave this book two stars instead of one). I have read all her Tortall series and was (and arguably still is) a rabid fan of the Song of the Lioness quartet and Wild Magic quartet. If you haven't read them, you should. They're amazing.

Okay. So with that, I'll review....

Did. Not. Like. This. Book. AT ALL.. By one third of the way into the book I was confused. What happened to all the favourite characters? Where was Rosto? And the two girls/roomates (of which I can't remember their names off the top of my head)? Where did they go? All the neat characters,settings (like the Dancing Dove), etc, were completely dropped. (you could say that Pierce often does this: moves her characters to different countries, etc, but in this case I felt that all the good subplots, characters, etc were left behind and left dangling). What happened?!?! ANNNNNDDDD what the heck happened with Tunstall? Like DUDE! I'm so LOST!! wtf!? It was so not in character!! Waaaay out of the blue!! I'm still spluttering mad about this STUPID plot development!

This book was just totally out of left field for me. Like way outta the ball park. To me it felt like every possible connection with the previous two books were completely severed. I mean who the heck is Farmer?! I mean, I like him and everything, but what about Rosto?! Was it just me or wasn't something suppose to happen there? I dunno, maybe my radar was off but I could've SWORN that in the first two books there was every indication that something was brewing. No? I dunno. Maybe I'm nuts. It's likely actually haha, but I'm just....mad. And the ending didn't help my mood either. It was very Harry Potteresque what with the weird epilogue and all...*sigh* Okay, I'm going to stop now. Before I get too wound up lol.