13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes - Maureen Johnson I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was very dubious about the cover; it looked like yet another airy-fairy chick-lit about yet another teenage girl going to Europe to "find herself". And to be fair, it is somewhat exactly that, but the way Maureen Johnson writes the character Ginny completely and utterly redeems the books in my mind. Everything about this book was atypical. In a good way. In hind sight, I think the reason why I liked this book was mainly because it hit really close to home--I very much related to Ginny. I did the exact (well not totally exact, but close enough) same trip and experienced eerily similar circumstances and I really liked how Ginny handled herself. Ryan also does something different that I really really liked: she doesn't write Ginny's stream of consciousness, if that makes any sense. I mean, most YA novels tend to get bogged down with all the thoughts the main character has that's suppose to give the protagonist depth. Ryan has a way of giving character depth that is refreshing. You get your answers about Ginny's character from her actions, something I really appreciated. I think Ginny's pensive silence and the style of Ryan's writing allowed the book to be both humorous and deep.
Anyways, I really recommend this book if you're looking for a light but intriguing summer read.